In May 1877 Elders Weaver, Faucet, and others met at the Gibson, TN school for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Church. At that time, twenty-three people came forward and united themselves together as a church.
The first church building was erected in 1879. It was a white frame building near the present site. The church bell, still in use today, was purchased and installed in December 1888. Services were held once a month.
In 1911-1912, the original wooden structure was torn down and a new brick building was erected for the church. Electric lights were then added in 1920. A few years later a parsonage was built in 1923. Finally, a baptistry was installed in 1933.
On December 6, 1942 tragedy struck and the church building burned. That following Sunday, the church voted to make plans to rebuild. In 1943 the building committee made arrangements to build a basement with plans to wait until WWII was over to finish the building. On November 20, 1949 the present sanctuary held its first service. The steeple and church sign were added in 1997.
Over 140 years later Gibson Baptist Church continues to be a witness and light to the community. The church has a strong local outreach program, bus ministry, and children and youth program. It is known throughout the area for being an active church.
Missions is a very important ministry at GBC as well. Beyond the numerous missions programs participated in each year, it is a strong supporter of the Southern Baptist Convention, and proud member of the Gibson Baptist Association.